Monday, October 28, 2013

Pumpkin Panda

Hola, cheese curls! It is time yet again for the long heralded monthly update! Although my proposition to update once a month has lagged behind to the end of the month, I shall try to be quick on the uptake for the remaining months of November and December, in preparation for my 2014 New Year's resolution of updating TWICE a month! Lo, ho! Though hast not heard of such glory!

Dare I say that my trend for being pleasantly surprised at the city of Richmond has continued to the point where I believe this may be a permanent sort of glee (let's not take it as far as "glee," although it has been positive so far). After revolting from the college bar scene, yours truly decided to immerse her Panda self in the artistic ways of Richmond. Sitting in on an arts leadership course with an awesome professor (shameless plug in the event you or anyone you know needs a great interior designer!) has let me gain exposure to the finer side of design and creativity in the city. I explored the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, saw the play To Kill a Mockingbird, and got season tickets for the Richmond Symphony, the first of which was Verdi Requiem. Although I would have enjoyed it more, intermission was not offered that one fine Saturday evening and I was therefore forced to catch myself from falling asleep toward the latter end of the performance, however mesmerizing it had been.

In addition, I have made a new friend! Walter Braxton, truly the definition of a starving artist/misunderstood musician, sat down next to me at Starbucks last Sunday afternoon and started dining on a can of Vienna Sausages. Immediately I knew we would become great friends. After exchanging some pleasantries, I read about him while he was sitting next to me (thanks, Google!), and eventually we agreed to meet again so he could give me some of his music. Walter Braxton is a composer of classical music! I have not yet gotten the chance to go through all of the music yet, but I have heard enough and had enough classical music training on the piano as a wee youth to appreciate the challenge of writing music! Falling into some difficulty recently, Mr. Braxton has not been able to compose and perform/conduct as he has wished. I have even thought about holding a class where he can teach crude laymen and layPanda about classical music, so I can act more distinguished the next time I attend a networking event!

Two former lab homies drove up this past weekend to attend our football game. We got to visit University of Virginia, which is apparently a public university even though all the men wear bow ties like private poodles. Notwithstanding, the football stadium had an interesting layout with part of the stadium cut out and replaced by a grassy knoll for frolicking in dismay when they lose at their homecoming game, as was the case this past weekend. In addition, the weather was absolutely delightful, following a week of dismal frigidity that had me breaking in my new CUggs (Costco Uggs - the adult version!).

Books have been a' galore in the Panda household! Thanks to Amazon and one cent used books with $3.99 shipping, I have been able to accrue a significant number of books that I shall probably not be able to finish anytime soon. After joining the library, I started requesting books and have now a book that I need to finish within the next two weeks. At least that gives me a deadline, although the other books on my shelf have started to get lonely without my prying Panda eyes. With The Economist also vying for my precious time and attention, along with the new Lady Gaga tracks in anticipation for her album release, I have been torn apart deciding what to read/watch/listen. Thank goodness for RapGenius, so I can listen to songs once (or not at all), and understand what "Pirelli" means.

There has also been a secular church dinner group (I am aware that the entire aforementioned phrase was an oxymoron...can oxymorons contain more than two words?) that has also accepted me for dinner each Wednesday. After two free dinners, I feel the need to contribute something, and am finally on a mission to prepare some green tea cheesecake for hungry diners! I have not really been baking after the CHEESECAKE FIASCO! this summer, where I made a different cheesecake every week and had to eat all of them by myself because everyone in lab decided to go on a diet (alright, I admit that I enjoyed every last bite...like I said, FIASCO). Welcome back, cheesecake! You will be a dear companion to the four tubs of Haagen Daz ice cream in my freezer that will eventually end up in my salivating Panda mouth!

I have two co-author manuscripts in the pipeline, one that should be submitted very soon, and the other pending revision from Dr. Zebra (which may never happen, at this pace). I have also started looking at other opportunities to become involved, even if not in the city of Richmond. Should you have consulting opportunities for a PhD Panda, please do contact me!

Happy Halloween, cheese curls! Unfortunately, I did not have enough time this year to create my own cheese curl costume. However, in order to stay warm and be able to stuff pillows into my costume, I have decided to dress up as as pumpkin! Of course, this will be a homemade costume, with an orange t-shirt, permanent marker, and some pillows! These Richmond folk will be blown away by the caliber and creativity of my masquerade, indeed!

Updates soon, my friends! Revvin' the frequency!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something, FOOL!