Sunday, January 26, 2014

Internet Dating Panda

As much as I love my cheese curl readers, I have to admit that being a graduate panda in the middle of Richmond is quite lonely. And after a fun fun fun MLK day weekend in Asheville and Charlotte,  NC, as well as evidence from the rest of my life, I have finally realized that I have almost all male friends. Being in the field of engineering, in graduate school and generally having the vocabulary of a sailor and the sense of humor reminiscent of a 5-year old, it makes sense that I feel more at home among boys. Last night, I attended an improv comedy show for the first time and, yet again, was proved to enjoy fart jokes more than any other joke topic. Of course, great literary magazines such as the New Yorker still can put a little sprinkle in my tinkle (let me just say here that The Onion does not hold a candle to the Borowitz Report), I am still prone to guffawing at such plebian humor as resides in everyday references to phallic objects.

In any light, I decided that I should look for more female friends now that I am in Richmond. Not that I am trying to be more ladylike, but perhaps I was just too close minded about the possibility of there existing other crude, vulgar yet brilliant women like myself that I might want to befriend. Although I am happy with my roommate and my female lab mates, I sometimes feel trapped in a social circle that is too dependent upon work. This can be very dangerous, since we all know living in the [cell] hood can escalate everyday quarrels very quickly.

So, in answer to your questions:

Q: OmG gUrL!! Wut happened wit yo hubby!?!? Did ya'll break up!!!
A: No, The Boyf and I have not broken up! We are still happily together and I am just internet searching for female friends. Also contrary to popular opinion and commonwealth law in some states, we are NOT [yet] married.

Q: Which sight RU usin? Iz it gud?
A: I'm on OKCupid. It's ok, hence the name. But it's free, which aligns well with my frugal tendencies.

Q: did u find sum1 yet
A: It's only been less than a week, and it's kind of hard to find girls since the site is set up for people to find others of the opposite sex (unless you choose the gay option). I have seen a few cool profiles, and contacted one person so far, who hasn't contacted me back yet. So this is what rejection must feel like in the internet world...not so bad.

Q: so u only look 4 gurlz?
A: Obviously I also creep on the "boyz", if you will. But I have no intention of contacting them, unless they contact me first. Although that probably won't be likely.

Q: Y NOT? OOPS HOLDUP I GOTTA TURN OFF CAPS LOK. yea cuz i get nudie pics all da time.
A: I actually have a fake name/alias and didn't upload a picture. I guess it's kind of a double standard for using the website and expecting people to respond to you even if you don't provide a lot of information or photos. But this thing isn't important enough to slander my internet reputation and kill my future prospects of continuing on in a decent profession.

So there you have it! I suppose if anyone becomes of this, I shall let you know! At least it is something in the background whilst I continue to hustle my way to da top! In another said but true story, the bartenders at the local bar near my apartment now know me by name! And in yet another twist of unfortunate events, I just wrote this entire post while sitting in the coffee shop be I locked myself out of the apartment again! But fear not, the business club, Wednesday dinners, and my church community have all boosted my spirits and led to increased networking and new acquaintances! Plus, lab keeps me busy. Except for today, when all my cells died.

No matter!

Next weekend is the Chinese lunar new year! Then Valentine's Day, when The Boyf gets to spend time with me! And sprinkled in the next two months are a poster symposium in Atlanta, one in Richmond, one committee update, and two conferences (New Orleans and Charlotte)!! Many big things are happening and the future is now! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something, FOOL!